HadleighWoods Gazette volume 5,
Published Periodically for Owner-Residents of Hadleigh Woods Adult Community
New Director for December '05 through November '07. Joe G. was nominated (and unopposed) at the Annual Meeting and voted in to a regular, two (2) year term by the Secretary casting a single vote. He will fill the vacancy to be determined by the ballot vote you just completed. Joe and his wife Terry have been residents of Hadleigh Woods for about a year and a half. Joe brings considerable first hand experience having served on the Condo Board of his summer retreat in the White Mountains for some time. Welcome, Joe, and good luck!
Update on Our Water System. For the last couple of weeks we have been wrestling with a difficult "leak" in the system. We are confident the source has finally been identified and it looks as if it has been successfully corrected. As we go to press, everything seems to be operating normally.
The Hadleigh Woods Web Site Pictures. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the new material, especially the new photographs on the Hadleigh Woods Web Site. Remember, if you have idea for the Site or material to post, contact one of our resident Webmasters, Tom T. or Harry M..
Stroke Awareness. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness of what do when someone is suspected of possibly having a stroke can have damaging effects that might be avoided. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
1. Ask the individual to SMILE
2. Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS
3. Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (i.e.....It is sunny out today.)
If the person has any trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. You could be saving precious time, even saving a life.
Covering the Top of Your Outside Air Conditioning Units. The time has come to cover the top of those units with a tarp and securing the cover with a cord or twine. Make sure the sides are partially open to the elements so they can breathe and eliminate unwanted condensation.
Hot Water to the Kitchen Sink and Dishwasher in Seconds. Just a reminder that a fix is available for $125.00 to provide almost instant hot water to your kitchen. Refer to the bulletin sent out a few weeks ago or call Tricia at 978 685-0880 to have it done.
Recipe of the Month. Ten Layer Salad, submitted by Gerda Todt
This dish is best prepared in a large, clear glass trifle bowl with 5 "- 6 "straight sides.
1. Layer in the bowl, in order: chopped lettuce, finely chopped onions, finely chopped celery, can of drained water chestnuts and cooked (2 min.) frozen peas, drained and cooled.
2. Spread on a mixture of 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 cup sour cream and 2 tbsp. sugar.
3. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 10 -12 hours
4. Add more layers, as follows: chopped tomatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, crumbled cooked bacon and shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle each layer with Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste.
5. Do Not Toss. Serve by spooning down through the layers. Enjoy!
- A couple of sanitation issues have come-up that require everyone's attention. First, if you put your trash out for pick-up, please put it in a hard plastic or metal container with a tight lid. This will discourage both the crows and the sea gulls who make such a mess of bagged or open trash.
- Second, if you have a dog or your company has one, make sure the do-dos are picked-up. A couple of folks have complained of finding you know what on their shoes from walking in the common area.
- Although we have seen improvement in the speed that vehicles travel within the community, there is still considerable room for improvement. We suggest that you ingrain the speed limits in your head and also remind any visitors of the speed limits in Hadleigh Woods (20 MPH on Flat Rock and 10 MPH everywhere else). Again, thanks to the slow drivers and a please slow down to all the rest of you.
- Continue to keep an eye out for blocked downspouts in the front of your unit (water will be running uncontrolled over the gutter). Alert any Director if you have this situation with your unit.
To Everyone, Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving wherever you are.